Monday, September 10, 2012

Chigaco Teachers Strike

400,000 kids are now, on an extended vacation, due to the teachers strike.
With parents at work and cops in the street, the good times are sure to roll.


:30 a.m. 'What am I supposed to do with my kid?'

Parents started arriving at Disney Magnet School shortly after 8 a.m. Many were from nearby Nettelhorst Elementary. They walked their children past protesting teachers as security guards directed them to an area in back of the school across a parking lot.

Some parents said they found the situation awkward.

"It's really awkward. We support the teachers but, on the other hand, what am I supposed to do with my kid? I have to go to work," said Antonia Hernandez, holding the hands of her 5- and 7-year old children, both students at Nettelhorst.

On the other hand, she said, the teachers are invaluable. "If we don't have them, who will teach our children?" she said. "It's time to have their demands met, every single one of them."